Robert Nava said that his record time in finishing a painting is 27 seconds. Conrad Bo Superblur gives his opinion

Robert Nava said that his record time in finishing a painting is 27 seconds. Conrad Bo Superblur gives his opinion.

https://news.artnet.com/art-world/robert-nava-spring-intelligence-2021-1957022

https://news.artnet.com/art-world/robert-nava-spring-intelligence-2021-1957022

The above article on the Art Net website was a very interesting read for me. The article is very well written and interesting. 

Below are two excerpts from that article.


In July, Nava made his auction debut at Phillips, where The Tunnel (2019), a painting of a monster’s blood-red eyes, was estimated to fetch $40,000 to  $60,000. Instead, it sold for $162,500. In the months that followed, his depiction of a transforming Power Ranger generated $124,195. A loose rendering of an angel sold for just over $110,000. A painting of a kid riding a giant snake brought $100,000.


He was talking about what’s become a Robert Nava mythos: the speed at which he works. His record, he said, is one painting in 27 seconds. The figure emerges in a single swift moment—a one-hit composition.

The interesting for me is that somebody can spend 27 seconds on something and sell it for a lot of money, and I think I have the same frustration as other struggling artists on this, and I ask how can somebody get away with this. Yes, Robert Nava has a Yale degree, yes he is hot right now, yes his paintings are interesting, but so many questions arises.

I take a minimum of 3 days and up to 10 years to finish a painting. The reason for this is that some of the paints I use take 3 days to dry before I can apply another coat of paint. The reason for some paintings taking 10 years or longer is because I put paintings I am not happy with in storage and after some years I will look at them again and try to make adjustments so that the painting can work. Sometimes this results in paintings that have several dates on them.

So not to hate on Robert Nava or anything, remember Andy Warhol said "Art is what you can get away with" and I think Robert Nava took that maybe too seriously, but I have questions and I also question myself.

That is about all I have to say about that. I am currently uploading some paintings on Saatchi Art, they are not as expensive as the Robert Nava paintings but I will list some examples of my art and art practice down below.

Conrad Bo Superblur 

Member of the Superblur Art Movement















































Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The influence of Jean Dubuffet on the Superblur Art Movement and the art of Conrad Bo Superblur

The influence of Pablo Picasso on the Superblur Expressionism Art Movement by Conrad Bo